At least 52 people were killed and properties worth over Rwf6.5 billion destroyed following heavy rains in the past nine months, a report from the Ministry of Disaster Management and Refugee Affairs (MIDIMAR) has indicated.
The estimated value in losses includes houses and infrastructures that were completely destroyed, crops that were swept away and medical bills.
Speaking in a press conference this Thursday, the Director of Disaster Response and Recovery at MIDIMAR, Philippe Habinshuti said that this year alone 52 people were killed, 119 injured, 127 houses were completely destroyed and 4620 were damaged.
He said that crops on the surface of 2014 hectares were swept away as 125 domestic animals were killed.
Particularly, since this 2017 first agricultural season started, rainstorm-related disasters killed 20 people.
According to MIDIMAR, the most affected Districts are Rusizi, Nyamasheke, Ngoma, Huye and Nyagatare.
The Minister of MIDIMAR, Jeanne d’Arc DeBonheur said that, so far, the government has spent over Rwf65 million to support victims of disasters and relocating some families from high risk zones which is an ongoing exercise as the ministry continues to mobilize more resources to support other victims.
“Some individuals are yet to get the support; we are still mobilizing more resources as we use the little we have starting from the most affected regions,” she said.
The Express News